Are you a teacher looking for extra work on the side? Are you simply looking for a flexible way to make money from home while helping others? What if you could earn $2,000 per month teaching online?
Education First is a digital teaching platform that hires people to teach and tutor students online. Education First is not just your average teaching site. The company has been around for over 20 years and they offer linguistic programs to students of various different ages as well as professionals.
Students from all over the world use this platform to learn different languages. They offer short-term and full-year English programs so you can earn money by teaching others about the English language and culture in the U.S.
Education First prepares the lesson style and has their own user-friendly classroom portal where you can work with the same students throughout the program. For this particular position, students are usually between the ages of 5 and 10 years old. You can set your own availability and will be matched with a group of students that you can teach and work with over time.
Education First is U.S.-based, provides 24/7 support and prompt payments.
Some of your responsibility for this role would include:
- Choose your teaching schedule either between 4:00 am to 9:30 am ET during the week or between 9:00 pm and 9:00 am ET Friday and Saturday nights (Be mindful that you’ll be teaching kids abroad in a different time zone generally during their after school hours)
- Teach 25-minute classes using the material provided
- Submit a lesson report for parents to review after class
To start teaching online, you need to be a native English speaker and live in the U.S. You also must have earned at least a 40-hour TEFL Certificate or equivalent along with a Bachelor’s degree in any field.
You also need a computer, headset, and wired Ethernet connection along with the desire to teach and motivate kids to learn.
Online teachers with Education First earn between $13 to $16 per hour which isn’t bad for a part-time job. Their site says that you can earn $2,000 per month teaching online so there is definitely room to scale and mak some decent money.
Reviews + Pros and Cons
My older sister has been an online ESL teacher and she loved it so this concept wasn’t really new to me. However, I did want to do some extra research and look into Education First to see how teachers really felt about working with the company.
Overall, they have a 3.5 rating on Glassdoor and generally positive reviews. Some teachers have even been able to travel abroad to teach some of their students in person.
Related: 9 Ways to Make Money While Traveling
Even though the company is mainly remote, others boast about a ‘great company culture’ along with it being a fun place to work and providing many valuable experiences as teachers have a chance to expand their skills.
- I like how Education First allows teachers to work from home and potentially travel. If I was working in the teaching field, this would sound like a dream job to me.
- I also like how the lesson plans are prepared and teachers are free to use their own style to deliver the information.
- The pay is also pretty competitive. Earning an average of $2,000 per month teaching online is not bad if you do this as a side job.
- People may view the hours as a potential drawback. I understand that when working with students overseas, you hav to accommodate their schedules and their time zone, however. If it were me, I’d probably choose to work the early morning shift.
- One teacher did state (on Glassdoor) that you only get paid once per month which could be a slight inconvenience depending on how you manage your money. Personally, I pay myself once a month too since I’m self-employed and I just had to change my budget up to accommodate this.
Teaching with Education First would be a great option to look into if you’re a teacher looking for a summer job, a parent who prefers a flexible stream of income, or you just love teaching kids and would prefer the option to do it from home and set your own hours.
If you’re interested in learning more about teaching online click here to learn more and apply.
Want more flexible ways to earn extra money? Here are 80+ unique ideas to consider!
Would you ever consider teaching online for extra cash? Why or why not?
How Confident Are You With Your Finances?
44% of Americans don't expect their financial situation to improve this year. Don't be one of these people! Download my free guide, 10 Ways To Feel Financially Confident Today and get access to steps you can implement ASAP for results